Sunday, November 07, 2010

Oslo, Norway!

So this past weekend I went to Oslo, Norway with my friend Dash (whom I met in the hostel I stayed at when I first got here) and my flatmate Anne. Dash and I left Friday around lunch and it only took around an hour to get to Gatwick airport which is much better than the two hours that it took to get to Stansted airport when I went to Frankfurt. Again we flew with ryanair because our flights cost only 20 pounds (35 dollars?) round trip (our bus/train fairs probably cost more than our flight!), which means that we don't fly directly into the city.

We took an hour bus ride into the city. We met a few American's on the bus whom were staying at the same hostel, so we found our way to the hostel together. Once at the hostel we decided to hunt down some food. We quickly realized that what we were told about Oslo was true that it is an expensive place! After trying to get some "cheap food", we decide we want to buy a drink from the store. But they stop selling alcohol by 8pm and on Saturday's by 6pm. So we venture to a bar to get a drink which ends up costing us around 5 pounds (8 dollars).

After our drink we head back to the hostel to try and check a few emails before bed. We are in the common area and a fire alarm goes off. Everyone has to go outside in the freezing cold (we do not have our coats so we are extra cold). Dash and I joked around saying that watch our room be the one on fire and we have nothing left. After having the fire fighters check the building we are allowed into the warmth again! We decide that we should go chill in our room for a bit (bad idea!) we get in our room and there are some firefighters in the room along with 4 girls that are sharing the room with us. One of the fire fighters tells Dash and I that if it happens again we will get fined 4000 KR (about 400 pounds). But we had nothing to do with this "fire", once they all leave we talk to the girls in our room. Apparently these girls decided to do some cooking (there are burners in our room, instead of having a separate kitchen- weird I know!) but there was no pots (supposed to rent them from the front desk), so they cooked some bacon directly on the burner. This resulted in a lot of smoke thus having the fire alarm going off! These girls are clearly VERY smart (later I found out that they are nannies...I don't know if I would trust them with my kids!)


On Saturday morning we decide to wake up nice and early in order to get a full day in! We walked the streets in search of breakfast, but realize that nothing is open! Things do not begin to open until 10AM! Dash and I saw the beautiful Oslo Cathedral (but do not go inside it!) We head our way towards the Parliament buildings where we get a free 45 min tour (if it is free it is for me!). This tour was very interesting to learn a bit about the history of Norway. After the Parliament buildings we decide city hall would be best, but with a bit of bad navigation thanks to me we end up checking out a old castle and fortress. It was really cool but unfortunately the castle was closed for a private function. We then head to city hall and then the royal palace as there is a changing of the guard at 1:30. We quickly verify with one of the guards that they are in fact doing it today and yes it is at 1:30. We walk around a bit and come back to the main entrance where we figure the ceremony will take place, its 1:30 but nothing is happening. The guards march here and there but no big ceremony. We are confused but tell each other to just wait! Ten minutes later still nothing! So we are hungry so we go and get some food. Later we realize we screwed up the time difference and we were an hour early for the ceremony and ended up missing it completely! The last thing we check out is the Opera house, this building is pretty cool as you can climb on the roof, although you have to use at your own risk! We found out that it was very slippery from the frost on the ground and yes you should be careful! But it was really beautiful and there was some cool views of the fjord. We were tired so decided to grab some drinks for the night (before we can't buy them anymore before 6) and go back to the hostel and wait until Anne arrives where we will all go out for dinner with her friend Christian.

As soon as we arrive to our hostel for the night, a fire alarm goes off, we don't have to go outside for this one (false alarm) and then in the middle of the night the same thing happens...another fire alarm! 3 fire alarms in one weekend, you think this hostel has issues! Apparently people were pulling the fire alarm as a prank, and had been done about a handful of times that day. Man people are immature!

Once she arrives the 4 of us go out for dinner at one of Christian's friends newly opened restaurant. Wow was this place amazing! We all decide that this was our best meal in Europe so far! We had lamb shank with veggies and mashed potatoes. We got some dessert of crepes with specialty berries! Such an amazing dinner! I guess the locals really do know best.

On our last day in Oslo, we met up with Anne's friend Christian again where he took us to the famous ski jumping area. There are a few beautiful views of the fjord and of the city. He also takes us to a Norwegian beach which is beautiful! And there are tons of kids and dogs running around since it was a beautiful day. We stop at a small cafe near our hostel for lunch which again had amazing food (but I guess most things are better than what Dash and I were eating...711 food and McDonald's...we thought we were saving money eating this!)

After a short weekend away we gotta head to the bus terminal to grab a bus (which ends up being packed and needing an extra bus!) and then onto our airplane and then two trains and a bus back to the flat! It is nice to be home to sleep in my own bed, to not experience fire alarms and some loud girls in the same room as me! But on the whole it was a fun weekend away! I am heading to Rome next weekend and then I think that will be my last weekend trip away before I go home for Christmas in December.

Here are a few pictures from my weekend Oslo Pictures! I hope you all enjoy them! (Click on Oslo Pictures)

No comments:

Post a Comment